It’s hard to be a patient, but throughout my life I’ve always found that being a patient has only driven my thirst for learning more about the human body and healthcare.
Over the past several (or many more!) years I have had my fair share of aches, pains, sniffles, injuries, and illnesses. When I was little, I read books about what it’s like to spend the night in the hospital because I found hospitals so fascinating. Call it weird or some type of sick (pun intended) humor, but it only drove my interest in being some type of “doctor” some day.
Well, now Dr. Julie got her wish. She needs a doctor…or 25. I’ve had a string of events happen to me recently that have unearthed some deeper issues that have been going on for what looks to be quite a while. I’ve earned myself a trip and some overnight stays in the hospital. They haven’t happened yet as of writing this on 7/10/2015, but they will come and I am preparing for them.
Being a patient is anything but patience-inducing. I’m still a student of my own case, finding everything fascinating and finding that I can’t get enough of learning about my own body. Over the past year, many of these issues have helped me and others in ways that have been surprising, humbling, and so rewarding. I’ve been able to completely reframe my approach to life while not losing the old me. I’ve taken on a lot of new things that inspire me while letting go of the things that sucked out my energy and my time.
I’ve taken on the alias of “Dr. Wonder Woman” (unrelated to my medical adventures) and I am approaching my upcoming medical adventures in superhero fashion. I’ve also realized that I never actually retired from swimming, as I’m using my athlete mentality to mentally prepare as if it’s the biggest swim meet of my life.
I’ve got this.
See the links below for a complete telling of my story. I’m honored to share some very vulnerable and personal details of my life, as sharing my story is not only therapeutic for me, but helps others understand what I’m going through. So many people have asked how I got to this point in the first place. It’s complex and usually results in long conversations and emails, so I thought writing it out in chapters would be more digestible.
Numerous people have also wanted updates and have shown how much they care, and I am humbled and overwhelmed with the support I have received from everyone. I have had so much love and support that I’ve lost track of who has heard the story and to whom I “owe” an update, so hopefully blog updates will be a nice way to reach those who want and need them.
If you get tired of reading about me, feel free to look around the rest of this blog and learn some nerdy PT, sports, and health things!
I am disabling blog comments on this page because it often results in a lot of spam and let’s face it: nobody wants spam! If you would like to contact me personally, please email firstname.lastname@example.org!
WHAT GOT ME HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE:
- Chapter 1: Sometimes, it’s hard being female
- Chapter 2: The brain is the most mysterious and coolest thing ever
- Chapter 3: Out with the old, in with the new
- Chapter 4: Oh hello there, Candida
- Chapter 5: Take that, Candida!
- Chapter 6: New medical adventures
- Chapter 7: Stuff nobody likes to discuss, but is real and pervasive
- Chapter 8: Making a game plan
CHARGING AHEAD WITH FULL FORCE:
9. Chapter 9: Biopsy AND Results (updated 7/17/2015)
10. Chapter 10: “I wish the real world would just stop hassling me” (updated 7/25/2015)
11. Chapter 11: Cabin fever: It’s not what you think (Updated 8/2/2015)
12. Chapter 12: Crazy week Part 1: Faceplanting is not for sissies (Updated 8/15/2015)
13. Chapter 13: Crazy week Part 2: Benedict’s true colors (Updated 8/15/2015)
14. Chapter 13.5: Benedict’s eviction notice (Updated 8/19/2015)
15. Chapter 14: Benedict’s Extended Stay Motel (Updated 8/26/2015)
16. Chapter 15: The Waiting Game (Updated 9/6/2015)
17. Chapter 16: Big Feet (Updated 9/11/2015)
18. Chapter 17: This is my fight song, take-back-my-life song (Updated 9/21/2015)
19. Chapter 18: Ripping my hair out (Updated 9/30/2015)
20. Chapter 19: One down, ____ to go! (Updated 10/13/2015)
21. Chapter 20: Trick or treat! Benedict’s getting tricked! (Updated 11/1/2015)
22. Chapter 21: Blowing out the Candles (Updated 11/23/2015)
23. Chapter 22: Duke, ADPi, and Sarcoma. It’s a Hodge Podge Post (Updated 1/17/2016)
24. Chapter 23: Charging ahead with full steam (Updated 2/25/2016)
25. Chapter 24: It’s Go Time (Updated 3/13/2016)
26. Chapter 25: The Waiting Game Part 2 (Updated 3/16/2016)
27. Chapter 26: My 5 Minutes as a Nude Model (Updated 3/31/2016)
28. Chapter 27: Benedict’s Eviction Notice v.2. (Updated 4/23/2016)
29. Chapter 28: I know tomorrow you’ll find better things (Updated 5/18/2016)
30. Chapter 29: Benedict is OUTTA HERE! (Updated 5/25/2016)
31. Chapter 30: Home sweet home! (Updated 5/28/2016)
32. Chapter 31: Seriously?! It’s Chapter 31?! (Updated 6/7/2016)
33. Chapter 32: The Waiting Game, Part 3 (Updated 7/8/2016)
34. Chapter 33: Broken Heart-ware (Updated 8/6/2016)
35. Chapter 34: The Waiting Game, Part 4 and #makingwavestofightcancer with SAA (Updated 9/2/2016)
36. Chapter 35: Honey, I shrank the ribcage (Updated 9/29/2016)
37. Chapter 36: Thankful for turkey, thirty-three, and #takethatbenedict (Updated 11/24/2016)
38. Chapter 37: No, 2016 was NOT a terrible year. (Updated 12/31/2016)
39. Chapter 38: My First Surviversary (Updated 5/19/2017)
40. Chapter 39: Uncharted Waters (Updated 8/23/2017)
DON’T WANT TO READ A MILLION CHAPTERS? HERE ARE THE CLIFF NOTES:
Cancer fight with Benedict in 2015: Cliff Notes (Updated 12/29/2015)
The Secret Sauce to Keeping my Cool Amidst the Chaos (Updated 4/2/2016)